Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Ham And Cheese Sandwich

Copyright 2011 Christine's Pantry. All rights reserved.

There have been many stories over the years about just how the town got its tasty name... City of Sandwich, IL

Some say it is related to the Sandwich Islands. Some say it has to do with the Earl of Sandwich, creator of the food still as popular as ever. Still others say it is the food itself which gave the town its moniker.

The answer is, none of the above, although it is worth noting the first plat of Sandwich was recorded by a man with the last name of Beveridge.

At that time, though, the town was not called Sandwich. It was in 1855, four years after the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad first surveyed land through Almon Cage's property. Cage gave the land to build a depot on, knowing that would attract development of a town.

It did, and the town was named "Almon" after its first settler. Cage proceeded to offer free lots to anyone who would build in the newly-platted town, and a number of people took him up on it, including A.R. Patten, James Clark, Myrlin Carpenter and James Clark.

Cage did not like his first name used to name the town, so Almon was quickly scrapped in favor of Newark Station. But this only served to confuse the town with Newark to the south.
Still, residents pushed to have the railroad stop in Newark Station, originally, the railroad only had a flag stop there.

But it was not until "Long John" Wentworth went to Congress that Sandwich became Sandwich, and hit its stride. Wentworth used his influence to get the trains to stop in town, and also gave Sandwich its name - after his home town of Sandwich, New Hampshire.
After 1855, the town grew quickly. In 1857, there were 107 families in town; by 1860, there were 203 families.
By www.sandwich.il.us/history

Ham And Cheese Sandwich
Copyright 2011 Christine's Pantry. All rights reserved.

Ingredients:
4 onion buns
4 teaspoons mayonnaise
pepper, to taste
deli ham
4 slices Swiss cheese
1 small red onion, sliced

Directions:
Spread mayonnaise on each bun. Sprinkle pepper on top of mayonnaise. Add cheese, ham and onions. Place remaining onion bun on top. Serve with chips. Enjoy!

23 comments:

  1. Great story and a good looking sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting story.. sandwich looks very tasty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A classic sandwich & an all time favorite... And I love the use of onion buns! There's a Sandwich, IL? How appropriate that you live there! :D Thanks for sharing the wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Harried Cook, yes, there's Sandwich, IL and Sandwich, NH. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmm great classic. great new twist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was interesting. I get asked it a lot about Soddy Daisy too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well great story......Lovely ham sandwich sounds very fabulous…

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine...and there is Sandwich MA as well. Nice Blog Site. I like the history lesson combined with the recipe! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a classic! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! I don't vary the sandwiches I eat enough...this one looks delish, Christine :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi David, thanks for the reminder about Sandwich, MA. Have a great day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks good! I love red onions!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post again Christine I knew straight away I've seen you blog before your delicious meatballs which I have in my to make list.Anyway I'm loving this I just really like history and food and appreciate the research that went into this post and a nice sandwich to boot thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. fun post we all love sandwiches ham and cheese is my daughters fav

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always love popping over to your site for the weekly history lesson. Great story, just the right one to be discussed over a sandwich :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Chris Gourmet Fashion, I love it when y'all visit. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So simple; so delicious-sounding! The pepper sprinkled over the mayo sounds great to me. I'll have to try this just like you describe it. Great story, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love simple sandwiches! one of my favorite things to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such an interesting post. I surely enjoyed it. There is nothing like a good sandwich either and I love ham and cheese. Those meatballs look wonderful, too. Now, you have made me hungry! Have a wonderful holiday weekend and thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very interesting history! I love trivial facts so thanks. Sandwhich looks very yummy, love ham and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love ham sandwiches! I use honey mustard on mine. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete

Why not leave a comment or a suggestion? Be the first to leave a comment.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...